- Laser Cataract Surgery
- LASIK / PRK
- Cataract Surgery
- Refractive Lens Exchange / Clear Lens Exchange
Dr. Folden specializes in cataract, LASIK, and refractive lens implant surgery. He is certified on the LENSAR™ femtosecond laser for cataract surgery, Ziemer™ femtosecond laser and the WaveLight® EX500 excimer laser, providing customized refractive cataract surgery, LASIK, and PRK. His interest and experience in cataract surgery includes Micro-Incision (MICS) techniques and the use of the LENSAR™ femtosecond laser. As an early adopter of femtosecond laser technology, he is now among the most experienced laser cataract surgeons in the state of Minnesota. As a board certified ophthalmologist, Dr. Folden has performed thousands of cataract, LASIK, and refractive eye surgeries. He works closely with industry to improve the design of instruments used for laser cataract surgery, enhancing safety and comfort for patients undergoing this procedure. His experience with Advanced Technology Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) includes accommodating, multifocal, and astigmatism-correcting IOLs. He was the first resident surgeon at the University of Minnesota to implant Advanced Technology IOLs, which give patients undergoing eye surgery reduced dependence on glasses, bifocals, and/or contact lenses.
Dr. Folden was born in Minot, North Dakota and later attended high school in Fergus Falls, Minnesota where he was Valedictorian of his high school class. He then graduated Magna Cum Laude from Bethel University with a Bachelor of Science degree. Before beginning medical school, Dr. Folden worked as a high school math and physics teacher and was a baseball coach. He then received his medical degree from the University of North Dakota where he gained recognition for his research in cardiac physiology and infectious disease. Dr. Folden then completed his internship at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) and his ophthalmology residency at the University of Minnesota. During his residency, he received awards for outstanding patient care, clinical skills (Harry Plotke Award), and scientific research (Harry Friedman Research Award). He has published his research in various journals including the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery and the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Folden and his wife, Rachel, have two young children. For entertainment, they enjoy local restaurants and travel.
- Folden Femto Dissector. Rhein Medical, Inc. Product #: 8-10144. February, 2015 – present. Description: A single surgical instrument designed for simplifying laser-created corneal incision opening and improving outcomes, safety, and comfort for patients undergoing laser cataract surgery.
- Cooke, D.L., Davison, J.A., Folden, D.V., Holladay, J.T., Masket, S. (2014) Treating, eliminating negative dysphotopsia. EyeWorld 19:4, 38-42
- Folden, D.V. (2013) Neodymium:YAG laser anterior capsulectomy: Surgical option in the management of negative dysphotopsia. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 39:7, 1110-1115
- Folden, D.V., Kramarevsky, N.Y., Brown, C.D., Kaufman, S.C. (2008) Microkeratome Cut Time as a Variable in Endothelial Keratoplasty Graft Thickness. Archives of Ophthalmology (submitted)
- Folden, D.V., Kramarevsky, N.Y., Brown, C.D., Kaufman, S.C. (2008) Intrachamber Pressure and Donor Corneal Thickness in an Artificial Anterior Chamber System. Archives of Ophthalmology (submitted)
- Folden, D.V., Wu, C.W., Hardten, D.R., Afiat, S., Mellema, P.A., Hoffman, G.M., Voelker, P.A., Melicher Larson, J.S., Connett, J.E., Doughman, D.J. (2009) Use of Cobalt Blue Light in Grading Cataract and Estimating Vision Loss. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 35:2, 312-317
- Folden, D.V., Lee, M.S., Ryan, E.J., Jr. (2008) Interferon Beta-1 Alpha Associated Retinopathy in Patients Treated for Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology 70:13 (Part 2), 1153-1155
- Olsen, T.W., Feng, X., Wabner, K., Contson, S.R., Sierra, D., Folden, D.V., Smith, M.E., Cameron, J.D. (2006) Cannulation of the Suprachoroidal Space: A Novel Drug Delivery Methodology to the Posterior Segment. American Journal of Ophthalmology 142:5, 777-787
- Folden, D.V., Machayya, J.A., Sahmoun, A.E., Beal, J.R., Holzman, G.S., Helgerson, S.D., Lo, T.S. (2005) Estimating the proportion of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: two definitions used in the USA yield dramatically different estimates. Journal of Hospital Infection 60, 329-332
- Folden, D.V., Gupta, A., Sharma, A.C., Li, S.Y., Saari J.T., Ren, J. (2003) Malondialdehyde inhibits cardiac contractile function in ventricular myocytes via a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent mechanism. British Journal of Pharmacology 139, 1310-1316
- Folden, D.V., Jones, W. (1999) Promoter Analysis of the Human Prostate-Specific, Homeobox Gene, NKX3.1. BIOS 70:4, 158-165